Resources & Media
Our History with Soil Carbon
Why start a project?
What are the benefits?
What is the financial return?
What are the downsides?
How to build soil carbon
1. Why use a foliar spray – are they necessary?
• LawrieCo2 Soil Carbon Regeneration System Foliar range, deliver profitable yield and produce quality improvement.
• Foliar applied Nutrition is a direct pathway into the plant.
• Foliar nutrition program assist to overcome soil limitations that reduce plants capacity to consistently access all the minerals it needs.
• Microbial function and balance in soils of many / majority of farmed lands is seriously challenged, resulting in less consistent availability of all minerals to plants.
2. Why foliar instead of broadcast urea?
• Improved absorption efficiency. Only a quarter of Nitrogen units are needed to achieve target yields, if foliar applied.
• UAN, SOA or Urea are dissolved and Buffered with Bio Stimulants and Biological formulated Nutrition support.
• Applied this way, Foliar applied Nitrogen does not ‘burn’ plants.
• Nutrient soil lock up, leaching, and volatisation are avoided.
• Nitrogen cost savings affords other important Nutrition to be included.
• There is No Risk of ‘pushing’ a crop too hard with balanced foliar nutrition.
• Plant resilience from applying a balanced Foliar nutrition program from Subsequent dry, disease, frost, insect is improved.
3. What are the advantages of using a foliar spray?
• Foliar fertilisers can be up to 20 times more efficient than solid soil applied Nutrition.
• LawrieCo2 Biological formulated Foliar Products as a program, are increasing Soil Organic Carbon.
• Conversely Soil scientists report that repeated high Nitrogen applications have, and continue to, deplete Soil Organic Carbon.
• From repeated high fertiliser N & P applications, plant SAP pH is commonly acidic. Phoscal and Growth products are formulated to balance nutrition.
• Balanced pH, and high mineral density, in plant SAP is Step 1 to reduce reliance on need of chemical disease management.
4. Are there any disadvantages? (timing?/Cost?/spraying too much or too little?)
• Damage to the input budget is the biggest risk of overapplication.
• Field reports of over recommendation application rates is higher yields and profitability.
• Cost comparison provides savings compared to broadcasting Urea.
• Some cost can correctly be contributed to more rapidy building Soil Organic Carbon
• Application with boomspray is simpler, cheaper, and has a wider window of optimum application than spreading Urea.
5. Which plants benefit from foliar feeding?
• Most crops and plants show yield increases from Biological Foliar Nutrition.
• Legume crops and pasture are more susceptible to lower , consistent access to all nutrients in common microbial challenged soils, and typically respond strongly to Foliar Biofertilisation.
6. How does a foliar spray effect soils?
• Mineral density in plants improves from a Bio Foliar Fertiliser program.
• Photosynthesis function in All plants is improved with Foliar Nutrition. Higher carbohydrate production results.
• To Access Phosphorous and all nutrients plants deposit carbohydrates in roots.
• Small application of Foliar nutrition can trigger greater root access to soil nutrients.
7. What are the advantages in using a foliar nutrition program when trying to build soil organic carbon?
• Carbon Liquid Pathway is identified as key contributor to building Soil Organic Carbon by CSIRO, and leading Regen Ag Scientists including Dr Christine Jones.
• Plants deposit 40% – 60% of Carbohydrates into root zone.
• Foliar fertilisation program increases, plant photosynthesis function, more fine roots and carbohydrates, feeding soil biology to build Soil Organic Carbon.
8. What Lawrieco products would you recommend for a complete foliar nutrition program (especially heading into winter) and why?
• Phoscal and or Growth will always be recommended – they are formulated in mineral, microbial, and nutrient base, for productivity, and soil health development.
• Highly concentrated Liquid Carbon product F75 buffers plant from Liquid Nitrogen application burning plants.
• Complete Trace element application is low cost insurance that there are no shortfalls for balanced plant nutrition support.
• In cereals canola etc, UAN, SOA or Urea are dissolved and applied at 25% of rates you might have broadcast.
Biological Discussion & Interviews
Australian Story – Stubble discussion with Dr Stapper, B Krieg & A Lawrie
Innovation & Experimentation with Brian Wilson – CSIRO
David Henderson and Adrian Lawrie discuss soil health
Subscribe to our E-News